Interview conducted by JH Roberts over the course of July and August 2016.
In the seventh interview of Mimisbrunnr.info's Six Questions series, we interview Odinson (Óðinnson), an American strength athlete and professional wrestler inspired by Germanic and Norse mythology. Odinson's character is a mixture of traditional, Marvel, and Mad Max: Fury Road Norse elements. He performs throughout the southern United States, and was trained by Mr. Hughes in Atlanta, Georgia.
1. Where did you grow up?
2. Can you remember when you first encountered Norse Mythology or, more generally, Germanic mythology? And what was the context?
Growing up my mom always talked about us being Norwegian and German, and she had me taking German classes as a child, so I was always exposed to German folklore. My German teacher in elementary and high school would have us read German stories like the Struwwelpeter series. In high school, my interests in Norse mythology grew as I got involved in strength sports. I began to idolize Scandinavian Strongmen Jón Páll Sigmarsson and Svend Karlsen.
3. How would you describe your religious beliefs (or lack thereof)?
For Odin, For Asgard!
4. How would you describe your political beliefs (or lack thereof)?
Odinson does not get involved in the squabbles of puny mortals. However, if any mortal shall prove themselves worthy they may dine with me in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever!
5. Do you have any formal academic background in Germanic studies? If not, where do you do your research on the topic?
I have no formal background in Germanic or Norse studies. Since reading stories from the Prose Edda I have seen how much influence Norse culture has had on modern day pop culture, and that sparks an interest in me to research the topic further.
6. How does Norse or Germanic mythology influence your creative output?
As a strength athlete I looked to the Norse Gods for inspiration and motivation. As I transitioned from a strength athlete into a professional wrestler, I continued to draw from Norse mythology to create my character, Odinson, who is a son of Odin sent to Midgard to prove himself worthy so that he may wield the mighty mallet and dine in the halls of Valhalla, shiny and chrome.